St Joseph's Catholic Church
26-36 Leopard Street, Kangaroo Point
[right in the photo above]
St Joseph's church and school provides evidence of over a century of Catholic worship and education in the Kangaroo Point area. The construction of such a large, Romanesque style church in a working class area during wartime is a testimony to the faith and commitment of the local Catholic community. The church and school are associated with several prominent Brisbane identities: the land was donated by James Toohey in 1866, the church was designed by architect J.P. Donoghue, and Archbishop Duhig laid the foundation stone. St Joseph's church and school is a local landmark in the Kangaroo Point area and has a special asocial with the lives of successive generations of Catholic school children and parishioners.
St Benedict's Catholic Church
81 Mowbray Terrace, East Brisbane
[left in the photo above]
Opened in 1917 and designed by G.H.M. Addison, St Benedict's was one of the first churches associated with Archbishop Duhig's intensive building campaign to provide places of worship for Brisbane's Catholic community. Designed in an inter-war free classical style, with matching fence posts marking the driveway entrance, it is also a memorial to Father Breen, who served as parish priest for the parish for many years.